The Self Defence for Women course focuses on practical, no-nonsense, self defence techniques for women. It is not designed to teach all the complexities of a martial art where it can take years of practice before you can defend yourself properly. What it does teach is a method by which you can effectively defend yourself using a handful of proven techniques that will help you overcome most situations.You are not required to be particularly fit to take part in this programme, however if you are significantly overweight, elderly, have not exercised for a long period of time, or suffer from diabetes, heart, respiratory or back problems, it is advisable to consult your doctor before commencing any type of training.
Why learn self defence?
Two scenarios……….. both similar except for the outcome
Why learning self defence is so important can be seen from the differing outcomes of two attacks on young women. In the first case the victim had no self defence training, in the second it was the attacker who ended up on the defensive.
A 15-year-old girl has been raped as she walked home in Cumbernauld.
Police said the girl was walking in the town’s Beechwood Road shortly before midnight on Saturday when she was approached by two men.
After a short time, one of the men left. The other man then subjected the girl to a serious sexual assault.
Schoolgirl beats up attacker after he grabs her in a park
A would-be attacker who grabbed a 14-year-old girl was left battered and bruised after it turned out his attempted victim was a martial artist.
The schoolgirl was walking home alone through Tilgate Park in Crawley when the 35-year-old man grabbed her arms from behind, police said.
Despite being more than 20 years younger than him, the teenager, who has studied martial arts for several years, then managed to break free from his hold and proceeded to punch and kick the attacker.
Even if it is not one of our self defence classes that you join, do not wait until AFTER you have been a victim. Join a class now!
Reasons for enrolling:
- “I work in a pub so it means finishing late at night, so I signed up for the course in case I ever need to defend myself.”
- “I just want to be able to defend myself when I am out alone and it will be handy at home because I live by myself.”
- “All I came for was to learn how to protect myself because I think it is important that you can.”
- “I’d just like to be able to feel safe and know that I can defend myself should something happen as you just don’t know what people are capable of sometimes.”
- “I was in a situation, before, where a man confronted me with a knife and it was terrifying. I signed up for this class because I’d like to know how to deal with it if something similar ever happened again. I think that it is handy for women to know these things.”
- “I think being able to defend yourself is important as anything can happen and you need to be prepared for this. I thought this course would be ideal for me to learn how to.”
SELF DEFENCE FOR WOMEN COURSE – FEEDBACK
- “The use of circles and the analogies used made me remember things easier.”
- “Very good course – has made me consider my surroundings on a night out and my abilities to get out of a situation.”
- “Gave confidence so as not to be fearful and that you do not need to use brute force.”
- “The course has given me confidence to defend myself.”
- “Excellent course and the instructor was very informative.”
- “The self defence for women course was excellent. I wish I had learned this many years ago.”
On behalf of the girls I would like to say a big thank you for agreeing to teach the class. I have looked through the feedback forms from the girls and they all seemed to love it. Here are a few quotes from them.
- “I enjoyed all of it and would not change anything except maybe making it a longer session.”
- “I loved finding out all about the pressure points.”
- “I have really enjoyed this class; I hope that I won’t need to use it though.”
- “Been a good laugh and I have learned a lot.”
Kim Hannah – Universal Connections
Results from our feedback form
- Did the course meet your expectations? 100% YES
- Did the course cover the syllabus? 100% YES
- Were the tools/methods taught useful? 100% YES
- Do you feel more enabled as a result of the course? 100% YES
- Do you think that a ten-week course was long enough? 100% YES
- Would you recommend this course? 100% YES
We value the feedback received as we continue to develop the Self Defence for Women course.
SELF DEFENCE FOR WOMEN COURSE – SYLABUS
- Prevention and Avoidance
- Awareness and Self Confidence
- Fear and its Effects – adrenaline and how to make use of it
- Strike Effectively
Practical workshop contents
- Awareness and posture
- Psychological defence
- Wrist hold escapes
- Clothing hold escapes
- Arm hold escapes
- Choke hold escapes
- Hair hold escapes
- Using your voice effectively
- Finger locks
- Wrist locks
- Arm locks
- Shoulder locks
- Choke holds
- Take down methods
- Body weapons – effective strikes
- Utilising weapons to hand
Organising and Booking
If you wish to organise a Self Defence for Women course for your group, or for further information, please use the form on the Contact Us page.
These courses are organised by Pro Holistic and all participants must agree to the Terms and Conditions for this course.
Guidelines for this course.
Your spirit should be controlled internally, externally you should appear calm and comfortable. (Master Wu Yu-hsiang).